Heirloom plants are all the rage. Why should you grow them?
- It will save you money. Heirloom seeds are easy to save and can be used for next year’s crop. Hybrid seeds will not always produce plants that are true to type.
- Heirloom plants are less susceptible to disease and pests. They have endured over time and have a strong natural resistance.
- Heirloom edibles have a more intense flavour. Disease resistance, storage, and shape are more important to commercial growers than flavour. At home, why not grow the tastiest vegetables you can?
- Using heirloom plants in your garden increases biodiversity by protecting and preserving plant species.
- You have many more interesting varieties to choose from to grow in your yard. Seeds of Diversity lists over 19,000 different seeds available in Canada on their website!
For more information on heirloom plants
- Visit Seeds of Diversity and check out the pages under the “Seedy Resources” tab.