Garden Competition Program
This is a long-running EHS program that promotes good gardening practices. A committee may be recruited to assist the program lead if desired.
Active period: March through September
The Program Lead’s duties include:
- Establishing dates, categories and fees
- Arranging for advertising of event
- Publishing and distributing of competition booklet
- Receiving entries
- Recruiting volunteer judges, ensuring judging kit is ready
- Coordinating the photography (can call on the EHS Photography Coordinator for assistance, if needed)
- Contacting winners and media
- Distributing judges’ comments to competitors
- Preparing the awards and certificates
- Inviting winners to Awards Ceremony
- Coordinating Awards Night in cooperation with the President
- Thanking volunteers and reporting to the Board
Other volunteers needed:
- Judges, to visit gardens and help select winners. Judges work in teams of two. Number required depends on number of entries. There are many categories in the competition and judging criteria are specified. All judges must attend the judges’ training session.
- A photographer, who travels with the chair to photograph all the entries.
For more information or to volunteer, please use the Contact us form and select Volunteer from the drop-down subject list.