Tomato Extravaganza is a celebration of all things tomato.
The first one was held on August 29th, 2017. The impetus for the event was Donna Bagdan learning of the 73 heirloom and hybrid tomato varieties being grown by Arch Greenhouses. Donna turned this information into the Tomato Extravaganza! event. It was held at the Hole’s Greenhouses and Gardens at the Enjoy Centre. It was the perfect venue to showcase a variety of tomato programs and activities. More than 490 attendees enjoyed the event, which featured:
- Tomato Talks featuring Claudia Bolli, Jim Hole, John Hubensky and Junetta Jamerson
- Tomato Displays featuring numerous new and unusual tomato varieties, the majority grown by Brian Heidecker
- Tomato Alley Tours, by Jim Hole, which was a behind-the-scenes view of the many heirloom and hybrid varieties of tomatoes grown by the Hole family
- Tomato Tastings by Mark Hughes and Garry Phillips which provided an opportunity to taste a wide variety of lesser known varieties
- Cooking Demos by ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen, Get Cooking, and The Roti Shop
- Tomato competition
- Caricatures with Laurel Hawkswell
- Tomato art
- Tomato mascots
- Guess the number of tomatoes in a jar
- Fantastic door prizes
Tomato Extravaganza! 2017 was recognized on March 15th, 2018 at the Edmonton Event Awards with the Outstanding Event: Start Up Award. The Team was thrilled to be recognized for creating a successful event with a small budget and getting such significant recognition.